Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Is it me or am I talking to the wall ?

Is it me or am I talking to the wall ? I can't count how many times my mother said that to me growing up. Well now it's my turn. Once again I tell my kids, "Clean your room" " Please clean your room" Hey would you guys please clean those rooms" " Your mother and I work hard you guys have to help around here." "Is it me or am I talking to the wall? GET UP AND CLEAN THOSE ROOMS NOW " All 3 get up and head towards their respective rooms mumbling how I'm the Anti Christ or something to that effect. They of course return 1 min 30 seconds later proclaiming their rooms are impeccable. Now I resort to the inevitable confiscation of various electronic items that they worship. My 8 year old daughter And my 10 year son quickly move to their rooms once again. Me touching their stuff is a risk they just can't take. Well a little better this time. Shove some under the bed , throw the rest in the closet. Bingo. 3 min 45 seconds later the both yell "Done" I look quickly . Hey, at least I don't have to look at when I pass by those disaster zones . Of course my 3 year old son was bailed out by his older brother, again. He knows the little one will just make more of mess and he'll have to pay the price of confiscation. so he lets him terrorize his mother while she's trying to make dinner.
I start thinking of all these quotes such as"Am I talking to the wall ?" my mother would constantly boom out to her 6 kids. God do have a long way to go.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I've spent the last ten years talking to my sisters kids or spending my day off cleaning and afterwards going "I'm turning into my mother!" But the more and more I think about it, I'm extremely appreciative of that. I'm proud to be turning into my mother. We all go through periods of "My parents know nothing and once they're of age - I'm putting them in a home!" but deep down, they appreciate having you in their lives. You're kids are amazingly smart and talented and they WILL grown up to appreciate all that you do for them. It just takes a while. There is a bond and mutual respect between you and your kids that we all recongnize and some even envy. Even thought you may not always see it, it's bold enough for someone on the outside to recognize, find some releif in that.
    So the next time you think you're starting to sound like Gram - remind yourself - Is there anyone else in the world you would rather be like? Your mother taught you to be strong and independent. Just watching her life and how she managed you guys taught you alot about self-sacrifice and how to love unconditionally. And I think, thats the best legacy you could ever ask for.

    ReplyDelete